Links to Australian ELT…
Australian ELT Published Resources (print/digital/online)
- Literacy Skills For ELT (OUP, 2011)
This comprehensive language skills series is suitable for English learners in Australia and New Zealand. The series aims to provide students with practice in the basic skills of grammar, spelling, writing and study.
- Writing Skills
- Spelling Skills
- Writing Skills
- Study Skills
- Headway Australasia (OUP)
- Read It Write It Australasia (OUP)
- Intermediate (2012)
- Elementary (2013)
- Upper Intermediate to come in 2014. Also Hear It Speak It in future (though I’ve heard it may now be on hold due to lack of interest 😦 LC)
- Short list of published Australian ESL resources on ATESOL ACT website
- Graded readers for lower levels e.g., Rabbit Proof Fence, Oxford BookWorm Australia & NZ, Short stories from Australia
- What’s the law? Australian law for new arrivals is a free education kit for use in English language classes and in community settings. Available for free in hardcopy form via your local Legal Aid service, or free online from: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au
The kit contains photostories and worksheets on topics such as:
- Buying a car
- Car accident
- People in Australia’s Past (Boyer Educational Resources)
The People in Australia’s Past language workbook contains stories of courage, achievement and fame about people in Australia’s past. Accompanying each story are language activities such as:
- vocabulary building activities
- comprehension activities
- self testing and spelling and grammar worksheets
- discussion questions and speaking activities
- Sing With Me from Urban Lyrebirds
Each book is a collection of original songs and accompanying exercises for students learning English. Each song is followed by five language exercises: vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, reading and writing, and conversation.
- Sing With Me Book 1 for elementary learners
- Sing With Me Book 2 for beginner & post-beginner learners
- Sing With Me Book 3 for intermediate to advanced learners
- Passages to English by Maggie Power
Book 1 and 2 for beginner and Book 3 for lower intermediate ESL. Workbooks for class or individual study. Each of the 15 units in each book begins with an entertaining story which also explores a different element of grammar.
- Career Development Skills for CALD Learners is a free kit from AMES Victoria “to support the delivery of an integrated career development program to adult EAL students at a pre-intermediate level of English in conjunction with their English language program. The purpose of the program as described in this kit is to build the skills, knowledge and capabilities of students so they can manage their pathways and careers through their employment journey.” Includes links to many Australian career development resources.
- Let’s Connect: an Australian ESL Grammar Workbook by Helga Burry (2015)
no website – check ELT bookshops (see below)
- English for Beginners by Po Lin Woo
- Preliminary Spoken and Written English by Po Lin Woo
no website – check ELT bookshops (see below)
- According to the Script: a handbook for biscriptal learners of English by Pauline Bunce (2016)
“written with EAL/D learners in bridging, preparatory, foundation and transitional courses in mind: learners who come from a non-Roman alphabetic-scripted background, who are about to embark on ‘mainstream’ courses.” Available as a downloadable pdf
Check the author’s website for more resources: Alphabet Headaches
Read a review of the book and interview with author.
Australian ELT Publishers
Publishers specializing in English language teaching resources.
- TAFE English Language and Literacy Services (TELLS) Qld
publications include Everyday Australian Picture Dictionary
- Oxford University Press ELT – Australian & New Zealand titles
- IELTS Preparation and Practice
- Key to EAP
- On Course for IELTS
- Read It Write It
- Literacy for ELT
- Boyer Educational Resources
- Understanding Everyday Australian – Australian English in context
- Word Building Activities for Beginners of English
- English Language Skills
- Rhyming Stories – Practice with the sounds and spelling of English
- People in Australia’s Past – their stories of achievement
- Across Great Divides – true stories of life at Sydney Cove
- Urban Lyrebirds
- Sing With Me
- Passages to English
2 beginner ESL workbooks for class or individual study. Each of the 15 units in each book begins with an entertaining story which also explores a different element of grammar.
- The Book Next Door publishes Australian-based photocopiable materials that can be used by teachers and volunteers as ‘extra’ support for English language learners.
- ESL Easy Reads are easy-read e-books for new learners of English (or for anyone who wants an easy read).
- ESL Extras are books of fully photocopiable worksheets with an Australian focus.
- Read Me Again Press – books written by an AMEP teacher.
‘Carly and Kumar’ short stories have been written at three levels so that every student in a class can enjoy reading a story at the appropriate level. ‘New words’ are defined at the bottom of each page to allow for ‘effortless’ reading. An audio CD also comes with the Level 1 book, to support less confident readers.
- Sugarbag on Damper – publish reading and spelling resources for adult learners, including:
- The First Australians
- A Very Big Country
- Australian Government
- Refugee resources
- Money Problems – language & numeracy resource
- The Sea, in the sea, on the sea, at the seaside – beach safety & beach culture
- APELS Everyday Series from Australian Postgraduate English Language Services (APELS):
- Everyday Interactive Tasks
- Everyday Numeracy in Australia
[NOTE: This website was unavailable on April 2018 – we will check again later and remove the links if it is still inaccessible.]
Australian ELT Bookshops
Bookshops and booksellers specializing in English language teaching resources, or with substantial collections in ELT resources.
- Bookery Education
Melbourne (and online)
- Bridge Bookshop
- Abbey’s Language Book Centre
Sydney (and online)
- The Language People
Brisbane (and online)
- See the #AusELT Resources – Apps page
RESOURCE PAGES CONTENTS
- RESOURCES HOME
- Culture & Lifestyle
- Expressions and Idioms
- International Students
- Movies, TV & Videos
- News & Articles
- Published Resources
- Websites & Blogs